The healthcare processes are designed to heal us when we are ill. But unfortunately, there are errors in healthcare processes that harm the patients’ health with new diseases.
In fact, the World Health Organization has determined nine areas to improve in order to prevent or mitigate patient harm stemming from such healthcare processes.
Patient identification is the second most important among them: “The widespread and continuing failures to correctly identify patients in hospitals and other medical centres often leads to medication, transfusion and testing errors; surgical operations to the wrong patient and other incorrect procedures such as the discharge of infants to the wrong families”.
There are other significant problems that arise from unsecure patient identification, such as fraud by patient identity theft; economic loses in the healthcare organisations; and ‘second victims’; the healthcare professionals that suffer when involved in an error that harms a patient.
At UMANICK we are committed to patient safety. We have developed a secure patient identification solution, UMANICK Identity for Health that works specifically to avoid patient harm stemming from identification errors in healthcare processes at hospitals and medical centres.
UMANICK Identity for Health is a complete suite of multi-biometric and multi-modal software that uses the most advanced biometric technologies: fingerprint, iris, face, and voice recognition.
Biometrics is the only way to unequivocally, safely and securely identify a person as a unique individual. Nothing to lose, be stolen or damaged (as cars or ID wristbands), and nothing to forget or being hacked (as names or passwords). Patients are identified by their fingerprints, iris or face when entering the hospital or medical centre and before any medical procedure.
UMANICK’s technology has the following main features:
- Uses state of the art biometric fingerprint, iris and face recognition algorithms.
- 360 Identity: It manages biometric and biographical information, as well as ID cards and other documents.
- Scalable: UMANICK Identity for Health manages biometric databases from tens of thousands up to millions of persons.
- Powerful: identification in 2-3 seconds even on databases of millions of people.
- License or Cloud: It can be deployed in both the client’s local IT infrastructure or the Cloud
- Works on any PC, with any Internet browser, and on smartphones and tablets.
- Easy integration with the hospital or medical centre processes and information systems (HIS, EMR, or other), through health standard HL7 and web services API. It uses standard fingerprint and iris sensors from multiple vendors.
UMANICK Identity for Health’s benefits can be summarised in four main accomplishments:
- No more patient harm due to wrong identifications.
- Zero fraud by patient identity theft.
- Reduction in healthcare spending.
- Zero ‘second victims’.
This is our story, which is yours?