What is FIWARE Foundation?
THE FIWARE MISSION
To develop an open sustainable ecosystem around public, royalty-free and implementation-driven software platform standards that will ease the creation of Smart Applications in multiple sectors.
Using FIWARE technologies, organizations can capture the opportunities that are emerging with the new wave of digitalisation brought by combining the Internet of Things with Context Information Management and Big Data services on the Cloud. Using FIWARE technologies, developers can gather context information at large scale from many different sources. FIWARE also helps to easily process, analyse and visualize managed context information, easing the implementation of the smart behaviour and the enhanced user experience required by next-generation Smart Applications.
The FIWARE Community comprises all individuals and organizations contributing achieving the FIWARE Mission. The FIWARE Community is not only formed by contributors to the technology (the Open Source Community working on the FIWARE platform), but also those who contribute in building the FIWARE ecosystem and making it sustainable over time.
HOW ACTIVITIES ARE COORDINATED
The FIWARE Technical Steering Committee governs the technical direction of the FIWARE platform and activities of the FIWARE Open Source Community. Governance of the rest of activities carried out by members of the FIWARE Community is organized through Mission Support Committees.
Goals and objectives
To bring best-of-breed tools to write great code, manage the development process and benefit from quality validation processes
To access great software easing the development of new solutions, making the best use of the, being able to provide feedback and benefit from large-scale testing facilities
COMPANIES AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
The FF’s members to organize all sorts of events, information, discussions and other activities and resources.
- The new technologies integrated in FIWARE, fostering their adoption as de-facto standards
- The developers producing such new technologies
- The offering built with or around FIWARE Technologies
- The users of the FIWARE Technologies who build such offering
- The FIWARE ecosystem as a catalyser for economic opportunities
- Increasing interfaces for connectivity
- Consolidating or Promoting Standards
- Increasing use cases for new application domains
- The FIWARE trademark
- The compliance with the FIWARE Code of Conduct
- FIWARE Technologies by ensuring they remain available as Open Source
- The openness, meritocracy and transparency which guides the decision making
- The labelling qualifying the Quality Assurance of the FIWARE Technologies
- Organizations that own the expertise to validate “Powered by FIWARE” solutions, “FIWARE IoT-ready” devices or people/organizations capable to provide FIWARE development, integration, training and consulting services
The members of our Foundation are pioneers where processes, methods and systems in Context Information Management and open source platforms are concerned. Benefits of the membership are:
- Active involvement in the definition and implementation of relevant standards at general and domain-specific levels.
- Contribution to the definition of certification criteria.
- High visibility through events and participation on FIWARE booth at relevant market fairs and congresses.
- Utilizing business opportunities addressed to the FIWARE Foundation or generated through the FIWARE Foundation.
- Providing (paid) services to the FIWARE Foundation for the benefit of all members.
- Promoting solutions and services on the FIWARE Marketplace.
- Prominent positioning of your organization’s brand on the FIWARE website.
- Active promotion of your organization in social networks and through press releases.
- Networking with other FIWARE Foundation members towards the development of business opportunities and the cross-industry development of new business models.
- Ability to create and collaborate in technical workgroups, helping to drive the definition of the FIWARE roadmap.
- Contributing requirements into the development of FIWARE components.
- Higher credibility in front of potential customers.
- Unique access to a network in which cutting-edge research projects are incubated.
- Support from FIWARE Foundation regarding definition of an open source strategy based on FIWARE.
- Opportunities for leading FIWARE Foundation initiatives.
- Invitations as guest speakers at FIWARE events.
- Potential* seat on the Board of Directors driving strategic direction of FIWARE.
*secured for Platinum members, through election for Gold members.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS (BOD)
The body responsible for the overall strategic direction, definition of bylaws of the FIWARE Foundation.
BOARD OF OFFICERS (BOO)
The body responsible for the daily operations and well-functioning of the FIWARE Foundation.
TECHNICAL STEERING COMMITTEE
The body where technical decisions are taken.
MISSION SUPPORT COMMITTEES
In order to perform some specific duties, the BoD may form dedicated Mission Support Committees that may be asked to perform support daily and mission critical tasks to pursue the FIWARE Mission.
FIWARE FOUNDATION TEAM
The people in the FIWARE Foundation that make the every day tasks happen.
Is the annual assembly of all members of the Foundation.
- PLATINUM MEMBER
- Gold Member
- INDIVIDUAL MEMBER
- ASSOCIATE MEMBER (AM)
- PM & GM STRATEGIC END USER MEMBER (SEU)
FIWARE is enabling a new generation of smarter applications which exploit large scale, real-time ‘context information’. Our efforts focus on the promotion of the interoperability and the free flow of data within and between smart cities, the collaboration between cities for the adoption of common standards that can enable a landscape of diverse but interoperable Smart City solutions. FIWARE is boosting the creation of a sizable market on which developers can start investing and cities provide the basis for the development of an Economy of Data.
According to recent studies, by 2050, food production must have increased by 70% to meet the demand of the growing worldwide population. Agricultural workers must take advantage of the technology available in order to optimize and correct inefficiencies through the whole process: the production of foodstuffs for citizens and livestock, the distribution and consumption of raw and processed products and the control and handling of by-products and food waste.
The digitization of the economy relies on how we take value of data. How we transform data into context information that can be processed (gathered and offered) in a standard way. A way that will enable the creation of smart digital systems based on the contextual interaction of applications, implementing processes between themselves and with physical and virtual objects, across the whole value chain. That includes connecting people by connecting their digital personas, through sensors and other devices.
Mission support comMiTtees
The FIWARE Accelerator Programme aims at promoting the take up of FIWARE technologies among solution integrators and application developers, with special focus on SMEs and start-ups. Initiating this programme, the EU launched an ambitious campaign in September 2014 mobilizing 80M€ to support SMEs and entrepreneurs developing innovative applications based on FIWARE. Similar campaigns may be defined, with private and/or public support in different regions, as part of the FIWARE Accelerator Programme.
Although it was born in Europe, FIWARE has been designed with a global ambition, so that the benefits that its adoption is bringing can spread to other regions. The FIWARE Mundus programme is designed to support this effort engaging local ICT players and domain stakeholders, and eventually liaising with local governments in different parts of the world, including North America, Latin America, Africa, Asia and Australia.
Think globally but act locally is a distinguishing mark of the FIWARE ecosystem. The network of FIWARE iHubs plays a fundamental role in building the community of developers adopting and contributing to FIWARE, providing the necessary local support at local level. The FIWARE iHubs Programme aims at supporting the creation and the operations of iHubs nodes worldwide.
The Organization or Individual who wishes to become Member of the FIWARE Foundation shall:
Apply to the Secretary and provide the information required by the Board of Directors.
Sign a Membership Agreement.
Signature of the Membership Agreement implies that the Organisation or Individual applying for membership complies with the obligations of FIWARE Foundation Members as defined in the Bylaws, the Association Code, the Fee Code, and the Code of Conduct.
Extended information about the governance bodies of the FIWARE Foundation, the membership, the specific rights and duties of each type of member and the process to become member, could be found at bylaws.