What is the FIWARE Foundation?
The FIWARE Foundation is the legal independent body providing shared resources to help achieving the FIWARE mission by promoting, augmenting, protecting, and validating the FIWARE technologies as well as the activities of the FIWARE community, empowering its members including end users, developers and rest of stakeholders in the entire ecosystem. The FIWARE Foundation is open: anybody can join contributing to a transparent governance of FIWARE activities and rising through the ranks, based on merit.
THE FIWARE MISSION
To develop an open sustainable ecosystem around public, royalty-free and implementation-driven software platform standards that will ease the creation of Smart Applications in multiple sectors.
Using FIWARE technologies, organizations can capture the opportunities that are emerging with the new wave of digitalisation brought by combining the Internet of Things with Context Information Management and Big Data services on the Cloud. Using FIWARE technologies, developers can gather context information at large scale from many different sources. FIWARE also helps to easily process, analyse and visualize managed context information, easing the implementation of the smart behaviour and the enhanced user experience required by next-generation Smart Applications.
The FIWARE Community comprises all individuals and organizations contributing achieving the FIWARE Mission. The FIWARE Community is not only formed by contributors to the technology (the Open Source Community working on the FIWARE platform), but also those who contribute in building the FIWARE ecosystem and making it sustainable over time.
HOW ACTIVITIES ARE COORDINATED
The FIWARE Technical Steering Committee governs the technical direction of the FIWARE platform and activities of the FIWARE Open Source Community. Governance of the rest of activities carried out by members of the FIWARE Community is organized through Mission Support Committees.
Are you already contributing? Don’t forget to
Willing to contribute your technology to FIWARE?
Goals and objectives
To bring best-of-breed tools to write great code, manage the development process and benefit from quality validation processes
To access great software easing the development of new solutions, making the best use of the, being able to provide feedback and benefit from large-scale testing facilities
COMPANIES AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
The FF’s members to organize all sorts of events, information, discussions and other activities and resources.
- The new technologies integrated in FIWARE, fostering their adoption as de-facto standards
- The developers producing such new technologies
- The offering built with or around FIWARE Technologies
- The users of the FIWARE Technologies who build such offering
- The FIWARE ecosystem as a catalyser for economic opportunities
- Increasing interfaces for connectivity
- Consolidating or Promoting Standards
- Increasing use cases for new application domains
- The FIWARE trademark
- The compliance with the FIWARE Code of Conduct
- FIWARE Technologies by ensuring they remain available as Open Source
- The openness, meritocracy and transparency which guides the decision making
- The labelling qualifying the Quality Assurance of the FIWARE Technologies
- Organizations that own the expertise to validate “Powered by FIWARE” solutions, “FIWARE IoT-ready” devices or people/organizations capable to provide FIWARE development, integration, training and consulting services
Members of the FIWARE Foundation can be individuals and organizations of any kind. There are five levels of members:
- PLATINUM MEMBER
- Gold Member
- INDIVIDUAL MEMBER
- ASSOCIATE MEMBER (AM)
- PM & GM STRATEGIC END USER MEMBER (SEU)
Those who, strategically committed to FIWARE, hold the key responsibility in managing the Foundation. Any legally established organization, except non-profit organizations, may apply to become a PM.
Those legally established organizations committed to FIWARE and having an active role in pursuing the FIWARE Mission. Any legally established organization, except non-profit, may apply to become a GM.
Any natural person who contributes to the FIWARE Mission.
Non-profit legal entities that do not fall under any of the categories above and contribute to the FIWARE Mission.
A special level of membership, dedicated to companies and organizations who are actual users of FIWARE-based solutions but neither developers nor providers of FIWARE or FIWARE-based solutions.
- Active role in the definition and implementation of relevant standards at general and domain-specific levels.
- Contribution to the definition of certification criteria.
- Active collaboration in technical workgroups, helping to drive the definition of the FIWARE roadmaP.
- Contribution to the development of existing and new FIWARE components.
- Leadership in the initiatives of the FIWARE Foundation.
- The opportunity to become a FIWARE Technical Expert.
- Potential seat in the Board of Directors of the FIWARE Foundation driving the strategic direction of FIWARE.
- Complimentary access to webinars and training on relevant industry-relevant topics and FIWARE-related issues.
- Building relevant connections and business opportunities with the FIWARE global ecosystem.
- Providing (paid) services to the FIWARE Foundation for the benefit of all members and its ecosystem.
- Certification of your solutions in the FIWARE Marketplace, aligned with industry standards.
- Enhanced visibility to cities and industry in the Members Directory.
- Brand promotion and company visibility through events and participation on FIWARE booth at relevant fairs and congresses.
- Prominent positioning of the organization’s brand on the FIWARE website.
- Active promotion of the organization in social networks and through press releases.
- Promotion of solutions and services on the FIWARE Marketplace.
- Featured on the FIWARE website.
- Networking with other FIWARE Foundation members towards the development of business opportunities and the cross-industry development of new business models.
- Access to a network in which cutting-edge research projects are incubated.
- Access to renowned industry leaders through FIWARE’s many strategic partnerships.
- Full support towards defining an open source strategy based on FIWARE.
- Opportunity to speak at bi-yearly FIWARE Summits.
- The opportunity to become a FIWARE Evangelist.
- Higher credibility among potential customers.
The FIWARE Foundation is structured in the following bodies:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS (BOD)
The body responsible for the overall strategic direction of the FIWARE Foundation.
BOARD OF OFFICERS (BOO)
The body responsible for the daily operations and well-functioning of the FIWARE Foundation.
FIWARE FOUNDATION TEAM
The people in the FIWARE Foundation that make everyday tasks happen.
MISSION SUPPORT COMMITTEES
The bodies in which non-technical activities are coordinated.
TECHNICAL STEERING COMMITTEE
The body where technical decisions are taken.
The annual assembly of all Foundation members.
FIWARE is the result of a joined effort from different organizations to find common mechanisms supporting cities, industry, and communities to become interoperable. FIWARE has gained relevance due to its vendor-neutral approach defining standards that make it possible for all types of businesses and industries to build and share portable and interoperable smart solutions around the globe. Its driven-by-implementation approach, in opposite to designed-by-committee, ensures an agile adoption of the technology.
FIWARE is enabling a new generation of smarter applications which exploit large scale, real-time ‘context information’. Our efforts focus on the promotion of the interoperability and the free flow of data within and between smart cities, the collaboration between cities for the adoption of common standards that can enable a landscape of diverse but interoperable Smart City solutions. FIWARE is boosting the creation of a sizable market on which developers can start investing and cities provide the basis for the development of an Economy of Data.
The digitization of the economy relies on how we take value of data. How we transform data into context information that can be processed (gathered and offered) in a standard way. A way that will enable the creation of smart digital systems based on the contextual interaction of applications, implementing processes between themselves and with physical and virtual objects, across the whole value chain. That includes connecting people by connecting their digital personas, through sensors and other devices.
Agricultural workers must take advantage of the technology available in order to optimize and correct inefficiencies throughout the whole agricultural process.
Agribusiness is one of the most vital domains in which smart technologies need to be urgently applied. Leveraging mobile, web and data technologies to disrupt the current agricultural sector is essential, turning a vast, essential but often old-fashioned business sector, into a vibrant, productive and sustainable Smart Agribusiness.
What was once a direct value chain is now transforming itself into complex ecosystems. To reflect this change, supply and demand are constantly optimized in real time and at a very detailed level. The main characteristic of a local energy community is the integration of different energy vectors to increase the level of local flexibility. This requires going beyond the electricity sector. FIWARE technologies support the seamless merging of sectors and enable the development of new energy domains.
Mission support comMiTtees
The Base FIWARE Accelerator Programme offers support consisting of a vast array of webinars and training opportunities for companies, developers and domain stakeholders interested in using FIWARE. Various perks are offered to accelerators, DIHs, and fundraising organizations adding their own content to build more complete FIWARE Accelerators. These may include promotion, support for helping SMEs to get involved in EU funded projects, attendance and/or participation at FIWARE-related Industry fairs, and more.
Born in Europe, FIWARE was designed with a global ambition: to introduce the benefits of FIWARE to the rest of the world. The FIWARE Mundus programme is designed to materialize this effort, engaging local ICT players and domain stakeholders, and liaising with local governments in different parts of the world, including North America, Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
A FIWARE iHub is the main center for the adoption of FIWARE platform technology among businesses in a given region. iHubs address the traditional barriers for business expansion, improving accessibility to target markets. They increase competitiveness through modernization and, at a regional level, facilitate the diversification of the local economy.
A FIWARE iHub offers a number of services based on FIWARE to local companies, including technology and consulting support, training, research, and testing.
The Organization or Individual who wishes to become Member of the FIWARE Foundation shall:
Apply to the Secretary and provide the information required by the Board of Directors.
Sign a Membership Agreement.
Signature of the Membership Agreement implies that the Organisation or Individual applying for membership complies with the obligations of FIWARE Foundation Members as defined in the Bylaws, the Association Code, the Fee Code, and the Code of Conduct.
Extended information about the governance bodies of the FIWARE Foundation, the membership, the specific rights and duties of each type of member and the process to become member, could be found at bylaws.